About The Child Care and Learning Center
The Child Care & Learning Center is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization that has been serving families in Rappahannock County since 1976.
Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia and nationally accredited by NAEYC, CCLC has been providing early childhood programs in Rappahannock County since 1976. One of the first early childhood programs in Virginia to provide child care, we were also one of the first (1988) to become nationally accredited.
Our mature and steadfast staff is committed to providing an enriching and safe haven for your children. Providing essential social interaction opportunities for young children in our rural setting, we encourage personal visits by families so they can see for themselves what our programs and curriculum have to offer. They are based on the latest brain development research that supports active learning and building social relationships. We are committed to enriching the lives of young children and their families.
- We are a private non-profit corporation that provides full and part-time programs for children from 3 weeks to 12 years of age.
- CCLC is an equal opportunity provider of early childhood programs. Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Department of Social Services, CCLC is one of only 113 centers (of the more than 3,500 licensed preschools) in Virginia that is also accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- This accreditation recognizes CCLC as one of the highest quality early childhood programs in the Country.
- To provide fully accredited preschool, child care, and after school programs for local children, at as low a cost to families as possible.
- We strive to improve the quality of children’s’ lives through our nurturing and enriching programs.
- We serve all children, including children with disabilities, and we offer scholarships for families who cannot afford full tuition.
- A not-for-profit institution, we serve a representative cross-section of all children from our community.
- For ways to help support CCLC’s efforts please see our Fund Raising page.
- CCLC opened in 1976 in the basement of what is now Doug Baumgardner’s office in Washington, VA. Named “Sursum Corda.” (“Lift up your Hearts”)
- It was incorporated in 1977 as a non-profit organization.
- Since opening our doors, the Center has been the only permanent childcare facility in Rappahannock County.
- From 1978 to 1986, the Center conducted operations in a farmhouse on Tiger Valley Road.
- In May 1986, CCLC moved to its current facility on Rt 211 just west of Washington, VA.
The philosophy behind The Child Care and Learning Center’s (CCLC’s) early childhood programs is founded on the belief that active learning is fundamental to the full development of human potential. Active learning occurs most effectively in a warm, safe, and loving environment that provides developmentally-appropriate learning opportunities for each age group.
The latest brain development research supports the importance CCLC places on active learning, language development, play and the establishment of caring and nurturing relationships that build trust and security. We are a child-centered program that combines family support, staff support and community support. All CCLC programs and practices are intentionally designed to foster strong reciprocal relations with families.